I know the rains will eventually stop and the sun will poke out. I know we will have nice weather for walking and plenty of the outdoor time and exercise we so desperately crave. I know it… But right now it feels like it will never happen. It’s rainy, cold, dreary, foggy, and so very uninviting to be out that we are forced to stay in – and staying in, around here, means reading.
My children are devourers of books, just like me, and the older ones will read pretty much anything they can lay their hands upon, but there are some books we get back to again and again for family reading. Sometimes I might even indulge in my favorite children’s classics just for myself, regardless of reading to anyone else. A quiet evening, a cup of tea, a warm and cozy blanket and any one of these priceless treasures:
1. Winnie the Pooh – always funny and comforting, compassionate and cozy.
2. Alice in Wonderland – so many famous quotes it seems we almost know it by heart.
3. Pippi Longstocking and other books by Astrid Lindgren.
4. The Railway Children by Edith Nesbitt.
5. Everything by Frances H. Burnett
6. The Narnia books – no need to elaborate.
7. Russian folk tales.
8. Harry Potter – this is something we’ve graduated to fairly recently, and my two eldest are as crazy about these books as I am.
Grab a hot drink, pick a book, and settle down for a good read with us. Stay warm and cozy!