With most of my days packed full of work, cleaning up messes, breaking up fights, and trying to keep the house in some sort of order, it often happens that 5 p.m. rolls around and I frantically start to ask myself, What’s for dinner?
Now, soup is usually my standby. It’s laughably easy – just toss whatever you have in a pot and let it simmer – but it does take some planning in advance. If I failed to put a pot of soup on the stove during the day and just need something quick, I usually resort to one of these 5 options:
- Everything eggs: fried or scrambled, with a few sliced vegetables in half a pita; or our favorite, French toast to use up old bread.
- Upgraded leftovers like rice, pasta, etc: this actually also involves eggs. If you toss some stale rice with an egg or two, add salt and spices, and pour the whole into a baking tray, you can get a good, filling meal in 20 minutes.
- Oatmeal: with butter and raisins, this can be a delicious dinner as well as breakfast.
- Grilled cheese sandwiches. Do I need to say more?
- Pasta. While the pasta is cooking, I can assemble a quick sauce from tomato paste, salt, diced garlic, olive oil, and oregano. Grated cheese or a dollop of butter makes it perfect.
2 thoughts on “5 Quick and Easy Dinner Ideas”
This sounds like my kind of cooking! We have our main meal in the middle of the day, but we will frequently have cereal of some sort for supper – and oatmeal is a favorite!
LikeLiked by 2 people
My kids love oatmeal with plenty of butter and raisins
LikeLiked by 1 person